Thursday, February 18, 2010

East Windsor Bicyclist Killed From Behind - Snow-Impairment May Be A Contributing Factors

As report by John and our friends at the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia:

According to NJ.com a bicyclist was killed after being struck from behind on Dutch Neck Road in East Windsor Township, Mercer County NJ on Tuesday. The Driver, a 55 year-old woman, has been charged with Vehicular Homicide as she was allegedly driving under the influence of prescription drugs.

But that may not be the only contributing factor. An earlier article quoted a police officer saying that Dutch Neck Rd has an adequate shoulder has although the StreetView shows a 3-4 foot shoulder on the westbound side where the crash occurred. A commenter on the same article noted that the while shoulder was plowed "most of the snow was throw(n) from the main part of the road onto the shoulder so in some parts, there was only maybe a foot of shoulder lane that was not covered in snow."


View 2010 Bicycle Crashes in a larger map

2 comments:

Brendan61 said...

This is the type of stuff that is so tragic and so un-necessary. I don't know if the 3 foot passing law will make any difference in the future but at least it will be a start in getting people to think about how to pass safely. It will be interesting to see what the outcome will be regarding the homicide charge. I'm guessing the drive will get off with virtually no punishment.

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely pleased to discover this website. I want to to thank you for ones time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you saved to fav to see new stuff on your site. I wanted to tell you, I bookmarked Blogger: WalkBikeJersey Blog at Pinterest so my coworkers will read it as well. May I also reveal a suggestion. Obtaining brilliant video marketing can be highly challenging. I find it most favourable to speak to a a Bankruptcy Lawyers San Diego. Our crew of Best Probate Lawyer San Diego are here to help you with all your legal wishes.

Also visit my web blog Best San Diego Bankruptcy Lawyer