The Tri-State Transportation Campaign conducts advocacy to promote a more balanced and equitable transportation system in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. We were formed in 1994 by the region’s major environmental and planning organizations to reduce the impacts of car dependency and sprawl development. Since our founding, we have stopped wasteful road expansion projects and won millions more in funding for mass transit, bicycle, and pedestrian projects.
The South Jersey Advocate is a new position. Responsibilities of the advocate will include:
· Conducting outreach about sustainable transportation policies with southern NJ elected and agency officials, civic leaders, businesses, non-profits.
· Conducting walking tours and outreach with civic leaders, municipal officials, and local residents in southern NJ with a goal of fixing dangerous roadway conditions.
· Serving as a liason for environmental, smart growth, transit and bicycle advocates in southern New Jersey and the Greater Philadelphia area.
· Conducting media outreach regarding TSTC reports and positions.
· Writing and reading testimony for sustainable transportation policies at agency and committee hearings.
· Organizing meetings with various stakeholders and events such as conferences, symposiums, workshops, etc.
· Frequent travel throughout New Jersey and to our Manhattan office.
Location of the position is flexible, but is likely to be located in Camden, Gloucester, Burlington, or Ocean counties. TSTC is headquarted in Midtown Manhattan and maintains an office in Trenton, NJ and Albany, NY.
B.A. in political science, environmental policy, urban planning or related field required. Community organizing experience a plus. Three years of work experience preferred. The person must have a passion for environmental issues, be politically savvy, energetic, highly motivated and have excellent analytical, research and writing skills. New Jersey residency and media experience strongly preferred.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Tri-State Transportation Campaign offers full health insurance, TransitChek, 3 weeks paid vacation, a retirement plan, and bike parking. Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
To apply, email resume and cover letter by January 17, 2011 to Veronica Vanterpool, Associate Director, Tri-State Transportation Campaign at Vvanterpool@tstc.org. No phone calls please.