Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, already well liked in the bicycling community and now famous for his table top speech at last weeks National Bicycle Summit, made a major announcement today on his blog. The USDOT will put the needs bicyclists and pedestrians on equal footing with other modes of transportation. "This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized," LaHood announced. To make this happend Sec. LaHood proposes key recommendations for state DOTs and local communities:
- Treat walking and bicycling as equals with other transportation modes.
- Ensure convenient access for people of all ages and abilities.
- Go beyond minimum design standards.
- Collect data on walking and biking trips.
- Set a mode share target for walking and bicycling.
- Protect sidewalks and shared-use paths the same way roadways are protected (for example, snow removal)
- Improve nonmotorized facilities during maintenance projects.
USDOT Policy Statement on Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodation.
Also don't forget to see Ray LaHood's statement on his "Fast Lane" Blog.