The following is a verbatim copy of the NJDOT press release with the same above title. Readers should note that monies awarded from all four individual grant programs are helping to pay for projects intended to make improvements for bicyclist and pedestrians almost exclusively. -Ed.
(Trenton) - The Christie Administration today announced that the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) will award 33 grants worth a total of $7.6 million to municipal and county recipients through four Local Aid programs.
The state-funded grants will support projects that competed for FY 11 funding under the Transit Village, Centers of Place, Bikeways and Safe Streets to Transit programs, each of which falls under New Jersey’s $200 million Local Aid program. A total of 237 submissions competed for the funding.
“These grants will support a variety of safety and quality-of-life projects at the local level without burdening local property taxpayers,” said NJDOT Commissioner James Simpson. “The level of competition demonstrates how valuable these grants are to local officials who make difficult spending decisions each year.”
The following lists grant and background information by program:
Transit Village Initiative
Ten of the 14 grant applications are being funded for a total of $2.6 million.
The awards are being made to designated Transit Village municipalities and will support improvement projects within walking distance of a transit facility. The Transit Village initiative encourages mixed-use development and economic revitalization in New Jersey towns where public transportation facilities already exist.
Centers of Place
Five of 53 submissions are being funded for a total of $1.1 million.
The grants will fund non-traditional local improvement projects, including projects in downtown business districts. Centers of Place grants advance development in municipalities designated as “urban, regional, town or village centers” in accordance with the State Development and Redevelopment Plan. Eligible projects include landscaping and beautification of transportation facilities, restoration and aesthetic improvements to historic transportation structures and upgrades to existing parking management systems.
Twelve of 95 grant applications are being funded for total approaching $2.9 million.
The Bikeways program provides funds to counties and municipalities to promote the safe use of bicycles as an alternate transportation mode. NJDOT encourages municipalities and counties to apply for funding for bikeways that are physically separated from vehicular traffic by an open space or barrier.
Safe Streets to Transit
Six of 75 grant applications are being funded for a total of $1 million.
The program funds local and county projects that enhance safety for those who are traveling to public transportation.
NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant when a recipient awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon project completion.