Collapsible bicycles are accommodated on all NJ TRANSIT trains at all times. Standard-frame bicycles and Segways are permitted on the Atlantic City Rail Line at all times.
Standard-frame bicycles and Segways are permitted on other rail lines at all times, except:
- On weekday inbound trains that end their trip in Hoboken, Newark or New York between 6-10 a.m.
- On weekday outbound trains that originate in Hoboken, Newark or New York between 4-7 p.m.
- On major holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day)
- On Fridays prior to major holidays.
- On Friday after Thanksgiving.
- On the eves of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur
Perhaps its time for NJ TRANSIT to take a new look at its rules, which seems to assume that cyclists are only boarding 2PM trains out of Penn Station.
Here is a suggested Change:
- On Fridays Before Major Holidays and the Eve's of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur Bikes are not permitted to board trains leaving New York or Hoboken between the hours of 12 noon and 7:00 PM. Otherwise regular restrictions apply.
- Bicycles are allowed on all trains on Major Holidays and the Friday After Thanksgiving, conductors reserve the right to restrict bike access due to crowding.
We would love to have a conversation with NJ TRANSIT to discuss creating more reasonable bike access rules.